Wednesday 30 April 2014

Patch's most favourite and best hat ever...

As told by Patch on Christmas morn when he unwrapped his present. A Christmas wooly make in April! Oops.  This started last summer when Patch discovered a Star Wars making book in The Works and wanted to make one of everything. I was pleaded with to make the R2-D2 crochet beanie, and that was my plan. But then I had a look on Ravelry and found this R2-D2 knitted beanie by Carissa Browning which looked more R2-D2ish and snugger... important in chilly December, less so in late April. Did I say Patch loves it?
This was knitted in oh so soft Debbie Bliss cashmerino aran in grey (shade 9) leftover from knitting a Christmas hot water bottle for my lovely sister, and cobalt (shade 208). The black and red crochet circle details are unknowns from the basket... I made the child size with additional rows as I didn't think the original pattern made a deep enough hat. Those lovely ears need to be covered. So the striped detail is slightly different on Patch's hat, and I decided against the protruding additions, but I think it's still satisfactorily R2-D2 like.

And this was my first attempt at duplicate stitch - so satisfying! Must do more...

4 comments:

  1. I want one!!! Really I do. Must force my German in-laws to get the knitting needles out ;) Bethx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do hope your request for a knitted delight was met with enthusiasm from the in-laws!

      Delete
  2. This is fantastic! You deserve Mother of the Year award. My little boy would love one of these too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really must remember this make when I have forgotten some important thing such as swapping the trainers in the PE bag for football boots for after school club - yes, I may have forgotten your football boots and yes you may have been sliding on the grass in your trainers... but I made you an R2-D2 hat!

      Delete